Monday, April 8, 2013

BEDA #8 - Teachers

BEDA #8
Date: 8th April 2013

hey blog buddies,
if you have not already know
i'm currently studying at the Sultan Idris Education University
and being in an education university, it means that i'm studying to become a...
yup, teacher....

so, today's post is dedicated to teachers...
especially to my teachers whom have actually changed my life in their own ways
and made me want to be a good teacher than encompasses all of their qualities that i admire
and as much as i would like to post their pictures for you to admire their beautiful faces, i would not want to infringe into their privacy... so, no pics.... :(

first and foremost,
i would like to remember my primary school teacher,
Cikgu Adnan...
(to be honest, he's the only one that i would actually pay tribute to among my primary school teachers)
i don't know where he is now and if this blog post ever meets him, i wish him all the best
i remember when i was younger, my friends and i would go to his house and he'll give us tuition...
i remember the small crowded room with green walls and green linoleum floor together with the whiteboard and racks of books...
this teacher taught me to encourage your students and see them for who they are...
to see that every student is different and you need to guide them while they're young
to be people who can be of service to society...

moving on to my years in secondary school,
it would be no surprise that the teacher whom inspired me to be better in my (future) career would be our beloved Pn.Malathi...
she's like a mother to us, or a really cool Aunt... :D
to most of my classmates, she's Pn.Malathi, but to me, she's Auntie M...
she's my parents' friend which made her a family friend together with her children...
her sons and i basically grew up together...
one thing i remembered most about Auntie M is that being a teacher, you can impact the lives of your students...
you can change them and give them a better future...
i remember when she told the story of this one student of hers, probably a failing student...
she encouraged him to at least study for what he would want to become and true enough, the student became a policeman...
from her, i've learnt that being a teacher can change lives

well, you see, when i was in form 5, i moved....
and to be honest, in that 1 year, the last (compulsory) schooling year, i did not have the chance to meet a teacher whom i could learn life from...
sorry to say, it was kinda like hell for me that year (and that's the year i blogged the most)

now, in form 6,
i met three beautiful ladies who taught me to be a better teacher
my Biology teacher, Pn.Yusmanita
my MUET teacher, Pn.Hazleena
and my Chemistry teacher, Pn.Jaspal

Pn.Yusmanita (or Pn.Yus in short) taught me that learning is two way and as a teacher, we learn TOGETHER with the students...
it's not like, "I have more knowledge, you listen to me"
but being the form 6 pioneers in that school, we learn together
grew together...
from her, i learned that a teacher could also learn from his/her student

Pn.Hazleena is somewhat more like an older sister to some of us
(but of course, we know our boundaries)
she was humble and treated us as someone whom she can trust...
she showed us that it is okay to be "weak" and stressed out
she showed us that we can trust our students
and they can empathize with us....
(but then again, you must know that we're of the age that these are possible
so, if i'm teaching younger kids, i would know how far i can go...)

Pn.Jaspal, she's like a mother to us (or at least to me)
you see, i can tell you honestly that Chemistry is not my subject...
i failed Chemistry a few times (and that i why i'm studying language)
but as i can see it, Pn.Jaspal looks for the best in her students...
it doesn't matter that i was bad in Chemistry, i was good at other stuff
and she (in a way) showed me i can be confident in things that i'm good at and grow in them

now, there are 2 teachers whom i have the pleasure of working with...
Mdm. Ong and Kak Yeng Nee...
they have taught me but i've learned more when i worked with them...

Mdm.Ong taught me quality in being a teacher
i admit that because i prefer things fast, my notes were not perfectly copied...
she taught me that quality work is important and that students would actually learn better from quality work
she also showed me that we can incorporate fun into learning and this makes teaching and learning much easier...

Kak Yeng Nee, she's a strict teacher...
but she also knows the balance of fun and learning...
she taught me to know the boundaries and draw the line with my students...
there are times to be serious, and there are times for fun...
she also showed me that it is okay to be friends with students as long as the line is not crossed...

and now that i'm in university, i would like to pay tribute to a few of my lecturers whom i've learned from and loved...
they are none other than Dr.Lajiman, Tn.Hj. Sidik, and Dr.Che Ton
surprisingly, all three of them taught/are teaching me literature...
you see, when i first entered uni, they told us that it is compulsory for us to take literature...
and to be honest, i fret because i could not see the joy in doing literature...
but now that i've seen it, i believe my field leans closer to literature than linguistics (and theories)

Dr.Lajiman, he's like a father figure to us...
he brought us to watch a play in KLPAC and he's a patient man...
he gave constructive criticism and encouraged his students...

Tn.Hj.Sidik, he's a fun lecturer to have...
although sometimes i do not get his jokes, but most of a times, i do love them...
he made learning fun and allowed us freedom of interpreting poem...

Dr.Che Ton, she's our mother...
she taught us Phonetics last year and let's just say, she's fun to have around...

and these are all the teachers who taught me life and how to be a good teacher...
one that i strive to be...
to teacher!

yours truly,
J


No comments: